The Clareview Recreation Centre posed some unique challenges that included a high humidity and corrosive environment for an indoor pool area, as well as the extreme cold weather climate in Edmonton.
This 258,000 sq.ft Recreation Centre includes an aquatic centre: 8-Lane pool, leisure pool with lazy river, children’s pool with spray park, whirlpool, water slide, and diving boards. Fitness centre, indoor running track, concession, two indoor ice surfaces, over sized gymnasium, change room facilities, child care and play centre and a city library.
Partnering with Silent Aire, we were able to provide completely custom air handling units that mitigated both environmental challenges.
The high humidity and corrosive environment for the pool area resulted in the following solutions:
- 304 stainless steel wash-down exhaust air section with interior liners to reduce corrosion
- Special epoxy coating on exhaust air fans to reduce corrosion
- Enthalpy wheels to recover energy from high temperature and humidity exhaust air
The outdoor units needed the ability to function in cold weather up to -40 C/F.
This extreme environment required some special features which included:
- 50% propylene glycol for freeze protection on the heating coils
- 4” wall thickness for increased R-value
- Air blenders to prevent air stratification
- Service corridors with unit heaters to provide shelter for maintenance staff, and a heated enclosure for piping connections and natural gas humidifiers
- Enthalpy wheels to recover heat from exhaust and temper the cold incoming outside air
Hatch Company’s ability to provide solutions to such complex and demanding situations, resulted in a very satisfied customer and a very comfortable facility for our community.